“‘There is no single pressure that made us human,’ Dr. Chapais said in an interview. He sees human evolution as having progressed through a series of accidents.”
So, let me get this straight:
1. Human beings evolved over a series of accidents.
2. An accident is “an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.”
3. Evolution is “change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms.”
4. We know humans evolved (specifically from apes or some kind of primate) because of scientific research (via the Scientific Method: “a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.”
5. Scientifuic Observation (the central element of the Scientific Method) is the collection of data/facts/knowledge of the outside world. Many of which are repeated occurences.
6. Findings of Scientific Observation are used to make a conclusion. And it’s been observed that Human development and evolution (or just evolution in general) is the consequence of random events.
6.a. Therefore, human evolution is the progression of a series of accidents.
Ohhhh… Okay. It all makes sense now. I’m an accident. Boy, it sure feels good to know why I exist. Thanks Science!