Whether or not we know it, we all have base assumptions and modes of operation we use to live out our lives. Personally I think it’s a good idea to know your underlying assumptions and disclose them to the rest of the world. Doing this is a great exercise for your personal growth. And it enables you to enter into dialogue with people to find and understand the Truth.
Listed below, is a list of my core beliefs, assumptions. Some of them are inevitably fixed and will remain constant in my life, Lord willing. Others, especially items 8 and 9, may change as I experience more of life. And by no means am I trying to suggest that this list is comprehensive. There is much more I could say. Each statement deserves extensive explanation and qualification. However, each statement is meant to be the greatest common denominator of said qualifications.
Finally, while the items on this list are my opinions, I am fairly convinced that my assumptions are true, independent of my belief in them or not.
- God is.
- Every human being desires and seeks joy and happiness.
- The greatest joys are shared in community.
- Every human being desires to be known fully and to know fully. Of which, the former is a greater desire.
- Every human being desires autonomy and will act on it whenever the circumstances allow.
- Every human being operates from their own subjective understanding of what they perceive to be good.
- What people perceive to be good is often wrong.
- Most people mistake their preferences to be absolute principles.
- Most, if not all, good, pleasant, and right things in this world happen and exist because items 1 through 8 are true.
- Most, if not all, of the world’s suffering, pain, and hurt happen and exist because items 2 through 8 are true.